Here is what you do....

Grandpa wanted to create a place where we could jot down some new things that we have learned.....you can jot down as few or as many things as you would like! They can be funny, serious, meaningful, life lessons learned....ANYTHING. Have fun with it and please don't see this as a chore! Happy Learning!

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

12 Black Balloons

Today I learned to be thankful for the "un-so-thankful" situations. I am NOT a good party thrower. Being a “good hostess” is a gift. I truly believe this. You can’t learn these skills… no matter how hard I try… nothing turns out right. I stress over having to cook, go to the grocery store, have the house just right, stuff to do, who’s talking to who, who is not talking to anyone… yada, yada, I love get-togethers, but not giving them. (family excluded.)

My friend at work (as some of you know as Paco) turned 40. Turning 40 is a BIG deal to some people. (Go figure!!) Well, they put a little committee together to plan a surprise luncheon. Someone ordered lunch, someone ordered a cake, someone got a card and had signed, someone coordinated “gag gifts” all I was designated to do was get balloons. Black Helium balloons. As many that would fit in my car. After all, I have a “party city” right on my way to work… I think I can handle this. Everyone was supposed to meet in the conference room at 11:45 sharp… to await the jump up and yell surprise moment.

The day of the party, I totally forgot about the luncheon…. I remembered on my way to work just 5 minutes from the office. (NOT my office by the way, our corporate office.) It was about 11:30 when I realized the party was in 15 minutes and I had no balloons… not only did I not have them; I didn’t even order any… But you know what?? Who cares about stupid balloons!! The man is turning 40! I don’t think he wants to be reminded all week with a dozen black balloons floating around everywhere. I am doing him a favor. Now I was only stressed about missing the “jump out and yell surprise” moment. So I gunned it! When I pulled in the parking lot, I think I parked half way on the curb and half way on the street… and if my memory serves me right, I think I screeched to a stop.

I go sprinting in… yes sprinting. Everyone was already gathered around with their lunch plates filled. I tried to catch my breath to maybe somehow act as though I was there the whole time. There must have been about 50 people in the room. I walked in and started toward Paco so I could wish him Happy Birthday, when my boss (Steve) called me over to him. I gave Paco the one pointer finger up signal as to say “I will be right back Birthday Boy!!”

Steve looked at me and said… “What are you doing here?” Suddenly it dawned on me….this was not the party!! Nor the day of the party, this was a meeting with the EDS vendors! I quickly responded that I was scheduling a meeting with HR to go over scheduling issues when I saw everyone at break, so I stepped in to say “Hi” so… “Hi” .

I learned you could be thankful for un-so-thankful situations. THANK GOD I DIDN’T BRING IN A DOZEN BLACK BALLOONS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment