Here is what you do....

Grandpa wanted to create a place where we could jot down some new things that we have learned.....you can jot down as few or as many things as you would like! They can be funny, serious, meaningful, life lessons learned....ANYTHING. Have fun with it and please don't see this as a chore! Happy Learning!

Monday, January 19, 2009

How old do you have to be when you don't have to "mind" your parents anymore?? (Diane)

I remember when I was a little girl; I asked Dad if he still had to mind Grandma Gladys. Dad told me yes, he did. I asked him what age you have to be when you don’t have to mind her anymore. Dad said he will always mind Grandma no matter how old he was. For years I thought about that. I thought that was weird that adults still had to mind their parents. I wondered if it was a rule they had, or if it was the law.

As you know, Mandy and Jeremy are looking for a house. I told Mandy, "Before you sign the papers, I want to see it." Mandy never asked why, or what difference it made what I thought. She just understood. Anyone that knows the "adult Mandy" knows that when she has her mind made up there is NO changing it. Unless your name is Jeremy, and even Jeremy will tell you, “that is ONE TOUGH BATTLE TO FIGHT!” He has often commented "You and Aunt Sandy made her this way!!" as to place blame!

When Mandy has to weigh disappointing you, with getting her own way, that is when you will see her stressed. She comes up with every excuse in the world to justify her decision but she can’t STAND not to be supported, and she can’t stand to disappoint you. Most often she gets her way, but is more determined than anything to prove she is right. If I heard what a good investment her camera is once, I heard it a million times! (Not so much talk on the Beanie Babies though.)

So… with this subject turning full circle, I learned something very valuable. There is no law or rule that determines if you have to “mind your parents” as adults. It’s all about Love, Values, and Mutual Respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment