Here is what you do....

Grandpa wanted to create a place where we could jot down some new things that we have learned.....you can jot down as few or as many things as you would like! They can be funny, serious, meaningful, life lessons learned....ANYTHING. Have fun with it and please don't see this as a chore! Happy Learning!

Sunday, January 11, 2009

I learned you're never too old to be a child (Ashley)

So for the next few days I'm in Portland for a conference for work. But, I decided to come to Oregon early to see my mom. She lives in Hood River, which is about an hour outside of Portland. We had a great weekend, and it was really wonderful to spend a few days with her just the 2 of us. As she's just about to drop me off she said she was going to come in to make sure I check in to my hotel ok. Sure. No problem I thought to myself. Then the concierge proceeds to check me in and my MOTHER proceeds to tell the concierge she doesn't want me walking by myself, and where is there a place to eat, and how does she get to the climbing gym...questions that I am perfectly capable of asking myself. Well, me being the "independent, I'm an adult" type of person, felt COMPLETELY mortified because I felt like she was treating me like a child and insulting my intelligence. But, after she left I realized that wasn't the case at all...she's just a mom and sometimes she needs to feel needed. So, once I realized how silly I was acting I apologized. But, it just goes to show you...you are a child as long as you have a parent alive.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Indeed Ashley! And someday the day will come where YOU will be walking your Mom in somewhere and you will say to the concierge..."how will she get from here to there, who will make sure she get's there safe, she needs another pillow in her room, and an extra blanket, will someone be checking on her periodically, and here are her medications... yada yada... role will be reversed someday where YOU become the parent of the parent.” Bitter sweet.

    I am glad you had a great time with your Mom.

    Love You!

    ReplyDelete